what to do with my car?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
bagged_and_loud

what to do with my car?

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Car:
1994 Beretta
3100 v6

would like input and opinions on what to do with my car. Has a blown LIMG and the back left spring perch is rotted. I've been told to 3400 swap and grand am ips since the spring perch needs replaced anyways. To add though, there's a hole in the drivers side door jam, and the inner rocker is rusted. The car has air ride suspension and I would like to put normal suspension back on it. New everything would cost about $700 for suspension. Plus,the rear sway bar has been removed,o that would be an added cost. Also needing replacing is the fl caliber and the hard line on the back right side. Then there's the drivers side door handle busted that needs replaced, and the drivers side window motor.

All that adds up to a decent chunk of change, and time. Oh, and the top seal needs replaced on the windshield. It leaks like a stuck pig. Then eventually I'd like to replace interior parts as the po had the recovered in material and designs he chose. That I don't care so much for.

The biggest thing that concerns me is the spring perch. I was told that would be an expensive repair. Everything else can't be dealt with over time.

What would you guys do?

1. Replace the LIMG, knowing the spring perch is rusted and the brake issues. And drive it into the ground, trying to get as much use out of it till it bust.
2. Put the money towards another beretta that wiould be spent on repairs
3. Fix everything wrong with this z

themixer

Re: what to do with my car?

Post by themixer »

with that much rott its better to invest in a better shell than what you have.

fixing the LIMG driving it into the ground might be a cheaper alternative allowing you to save for something nice.

bagged_and_loud

Lol my thoughts exactly but just don't know yet

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Nothing beats a car with little to no rust. Oh and by the way the water leak is on the firewall or where the wiring harness goes in. Too common of a problem to even laugh at(more like cry).
I know all to much about messing with rust in the spring area and the bumper support. If you find a car with a rusted bumper support you are ok, that just bolts on. Weba is the only one that I know of that has replaced a spring perch. Something I don't have the guts to do anymore.

keep'em flying!
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

interested in selling the suspension?

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
bagged_and_loud

If you was closer Yes, and if I had stock to put on it.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Oh and by the way the water leak is on the firewall or where the wiring harness goes in. Too common of a problem to even laugh at(more like cry).
Not always true... Biggest leak on these cars is the fresh air vent, water coming down from the windshield has direct access to that port and 95% of them leak like a bastard.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bagged_and_loud

My water leak is the top seal on the windshield. Lol

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Top seal on the windshield? That is a new one!

Damn 3X00 I hope that is not where my leak is. I sealed everything under the cowl but a hard to reach area under the fresh air vent. I may have missed the only spot that matters in the cowl.

keep'em flying!
bagged_and_loud

Lol Ya it's the windshield seal.

Bman Gtz

Post by Bman Gtz »

Yeah, I would say new shell, use your current car as a parts car and sell off some stuff to help fund the new project.

BMAN

bagged_and_loud

I'm thinking while new car period. Maybe a gtu, or an Indy, or another gt. Quad four would be awesome as little as I drive my personal vehicle now

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Quads don't like sitting. They also don't like being ignored, run hot, or being called 'Wanda'. Quads are very, very finicky. But yeah, they are awesome when working right. I would repair the car, if it is otherwise in good shape. Reasoning is this:
1. You know what is wrong with the car -what is wrong with the next one? Something, almost for sure.
2. Having a LIMG blow-out on a 3100 is like having a 3100 -they will all blow out eventually, if the engine isn't scrapped first, it is a bad design using plastic gaskets. So long as the bearings are still okay, then fixing the LIMG problem now with the steel gaskets (Dorman makes a nice set, very affordable through Rock Auto) means you don't have to worry about it again. Any other 3100 you buy should get the gasket upgrade right away anyways, just to make sure the bearings don't get toasted when the LIMG does blow out...
3. Replacing or recovering the interior will give you a new interior -you won't find that on another cheap-buy Beretta, most likely. Consider it an investment or restoration... You can also retrofit other seats into the car -like the mid-'90s Grand Am seats that fit like a glove...
4. An IRS swap from a Grand Am sounds interesting, to say the least. Or RWD the car if you want to be ambitious. If modding the car to uniqueness isn't your style, then just cut out a replacement perch from the junk-yard and weld it in. Drill-out the spot-welds with the special cutter available from Harbor Freight or other tool-shops, you will be back in business over the weekend if you can weld at all.
5. That is a lot of money, with all those new parts. How much do all the fixes cost with used parts?
6. Another Beretta scrapped is another Beretta gone for good -they aren't coming back people. It doesn't sound like the car is in great shape, but it doesn't sound like it is a total pile either. I don't think I've seen any pics of it though...
7. How much $$ and time will it cost you to find and buy another car, title it, get plates, change insurance, etc. PITA. Keep what you have, that is my opinion... But have fun with it.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
bagged_and_loud

Thanks for the insight. As for the suspension and interior, I was thinking of buying a Beretta with blown motor/tranny with good suspension and interior. Doesn't have to be perfect, I don't expect it to be. Welding, can't even begin to make a weld are all, let a lone something that needs to be structurally safe. Im leaning on keeping it, for parts if nothing else. I definitely won't scrap it. The main body is still too good. It'll still be a while before I can get pics. It's garaged right now.