ls1

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Reese

ls1

Post by Reese »

So my dad has an ls1 motor in the garage and he told me I should put in one of my berettas. Was wondering if anyone has done this before and if it can be done fwd? Any tips comments or thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Barry
Global Moderator

Re: ls1

Post by Barry »

You can do it, it's just a lot of work. You will have a lot of fab to do.

If your gonna do a ls1 you should make it rwd too

95BerettaBase

Post by 95BerettaBase »

You try to do an LS1 in a FWD car you may as well kiss the transmission goodbye.

-1995 Chevy Beretta Base *SOLD*
-1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4
-2016 Chevy Silverado Z71
-2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1995 Chevy Beretta Base - 3100 V6 w/ 284,000 and still kickin'.
Reese

Post by Reese »

So I should go rwd is the consensus. Alright anyone have any advice on that or old attemps as I know people have attempted it before, just want to get an idea on how the rear end would have to be modified. Thanks

weba

Post by weba »

Well it isn't that much longer than a Quad4.

How ever, finding a gearing that could offer any traction with that size engine can be challenge.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

well u could use a gxp tranny that is matted to LS3 but I dont think the both will fit together in a beretta engine bay. barry is in middle of his rwd conversion n its alotta work n time

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I'm doing a rwd conversion right now. You can see the thread in the general section. Project slideways z26.

It's possible but it's a lot of work. I'm probably 65 percent done

scannerman

Post by scannerman »

MY91GT(Z) wrote:well u could use a gxp tranny that is matted to LS3 but I dont think the both will fit together in a beretta engine bay. barry is in middle of his rwd conversion n its alotta work n time

GXP got the LS4. And they were 320lb/tq. The same amount my 2.0L LNF puts down....

Also the LS4 was modified with a shortened block and several other things so that i could fit in the FWD platform. Getting an LS1 or better in a FWD application would take a lot of work and would probably do nothing but produce lots of tire smoke.

2009 Cobalt SS LNF
1995 Z26 3100 auto <--- Totalled
1989 base 2.8 auto <-- Sold
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Kiss the tranny good by huh? I'm running at near the same 1/4 time as a stock C5 vette and I'm weighing in at 3175lbs... so that means I'm putting down close to the same power, they are 114mph and I'm 107 so thats a bit different, I would guess I'm ~25hp shy of a LS1 setup.

Also the way GM rates it's transmissions that year trans falls in the same category as the one I have. It was a 4L60e so its only a longitudinal vs transverse trans... Both rated the same. BUT either way even with the GXP trans good luck getting it to fit... I think it would be way too wide of a setup, for what weba said, remember on a V8 setup your cylinders sides are offset about a half cylinder, so the furthest forward cylinder on a LS1 would be 1/2 a bore further forward than a Quad... plus whatever the bore size difference is.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

if you were keeping it fwd go to the fiero.nl forums they have more to offer in terms of knowledge of using the stock trans with a v8. they have vendors that sell the parts to convert them also. you are on your own for mounts though.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Reese

Post by Reese »

Alright so I'm thinking go with the rwd setup after all your commwnta and looking through Barry's thread but I would rather have mine as a more practical car like summer driver in stead of just a track car.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

LS1 RWD swap a practical summer driver... eek.. hope you have deep pockets.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Keeping comforts like windsheild wipers and air conditioning fly out the door so fast once you realize how much space our firewalls DONT have.

Reese

Post by Reese »

Looking more into it all and doing some research . But on a side note ny quasar has developed a slight hum and I'm guessing its front wheel hubs how difficult will it be to replace them?