maaco paintjobs

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
JAWS89GTU

maaco paintjobs

Post by JAWS89GTU »

Just wanted to get some opinions and if anyone has gotten their berettas Done from them.. i know they have have some basic one i heard for like $300... i know for that i really cant expect superior quality but i also cant afford a 3 grand job atm. Any pictures would be great as well.

My last question is how to remove the old glue strip residue from the back of thedoor and quarter panels? I took them off to put new ones on but its a pain trying to get the remains off.

themadness

Re: maaco paintjobs

Post by themadness »

my maaco job was actually good. prep is the BIG factor. do it yourself if you can and TAKE YOUR TIME. remove everything you can. you would be much better off having it towed in as bare condition as possible. i jacked up my prep work beyond all repair trying to correct the mistakes i made plus the body on my car wasnt exactly great to begin with. i tried to follow ryan's footsteps on the diy paintjob and lets just say he did a thousand times better. either way i took it to maaco and they did a decent job for 250 dollars. they taped and sprayed. i did have overspray but thats what you get for cheap. all in all it looks good on a 17 year old car. they sprayed it with the cheap single stage paint and its holding up great 6 months in.

look at it this way. if it lasts 5 years and only cost 300 bux then you are coming out to the good if you dont have showroom expectations. hell you could get it redone every year for 5 years if you wanted. or you could save up 2-3000 for a private shop.

as far as sticky stuff goes grab some goof off from walmart

i'll try to get some pics if i can.

JAWS89GTU

Post by JAWS89GTU »

I tried goo gone but even that didnt take it off.. so for $250 they pretty much just spray over your existing paint and thats it? The only ruat on my car is a little on the roof, a very small spot beneath my driver side quarter window dew strip and a spot beneath the gas door..

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

yeah that is just what i have heard everywhere. take the time to do all the prep work as you can, then bring it in, and hopefully they dont put runs in it... that's a base and clear all in one shot i think.. it's nicer to have the clear on top for a bit more protection, might be worth while to opt for that option.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

Please don't go to maaco I heled my buddys dad redo a 73 charger and it was a maaco paint job , worst job I've ever seen bit this is coming from an obsessive compulsive bodyman that focuses on everything, trust me I'm a rare breed I get threatened to be fired at least 2 times a week painting utility trucks and actually caring about the paint I put on them if you do do it yourselve take your time focus on the areas that have rust, rent a sandblaster or buy one from tractor supply they are like 20 bucks or something, male sure you feather the scratches and minor impurfections out, pound out all the dents my bodyshop teacher in tech always use to tell us if your body filler is more than an 1/8 thick your doin it wrong, try to pound them as smooth as you can, and don't forget to mask everything trim etc..before you sand I can't stand when people sand over trim, and glass it makes it look like shitty work rememeber the nicer and smoother you make it underneath is how your top coat is gonna look, if you have trouble feeling dents and waves in the body go buy a microfiber cloth it's an old skool bodymans trick I learned you feel everything!!! I can't explain it but it works, if you want cheap good paint focus on ppgs shopline brand and delfleet essential brand for commercial, the essential is what I use at work and IRS mostly single stage solid colors I don't recommend using metallic in single stage, shopline has a very nice base coat and clear for the money only difference between the more expensive deltron brand is it's warrantied where delfleet and shopline are not so if something goes wrong your screwed where delfleet they would give you another can of paint if something happened, plus delfleet and shopline don't have a guaranteed color match but who can tell when you respray the whole car give it a shot you won't be sorry

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan
themadness

Post by themadness »

spoken like a true paint man.

i have to say though for something like a restoration project on a valuable car like the charger you mentioned, you have to do it professionally. but for our cars that arent show cars and the closest thing we get to a car show is the walmart parking lot, then maaco would work. at least in my mind anyway. they vary from shop to shop and the results arent gonna be the same at every maaco. my car didnt have any runs or drips. it does look like it could have used one more coat of paint. i dont even know how many they put on but my eye says it just LOOKS like one more wouldnt hurt. other than that i'm satisfied.

i will say dont expect the 3 day turn around. took mine 2 weeks. but they had a christmas special in a military town with 87 cars ahead of mine. pull your own dents, do your own prep work METICULOUSLY, take your time and have fun. if you arent expecting showroom results go for it. if you can afford it get the slightly higher package with the warranty.

quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

Pretty much what everyone else is saying... I got my black GTZ done by Macco in '03 and it still looks good, as long as I keep it waxed and taken care of. It is what you make of it. I also recommend doing all prep work yourself and just let them be the spray mules. Then keep up with your finish to keep it shining for years. Worth every penny I spent on that paint IMHO...

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I would shy away from single stage metallic. That's what I sprayed mine with and it was tough to get right. Solid colors like red/white/yellow/black are easy though.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

Like the majority of people have said. Prep your car first. I had my first Beretta painted at Maaco. For the price, it was good. I had it done 6 yrs ago and the car is still driving around looking pretty good. I didn't prep it very well. I had a base front bumper on it and the lines weren't sanded. So the paint peeled there due to the clear not being sanded off. Also the roof/trunk were sanded to metal. I was starting to get rust spots through the paint when I sold it. I don't think they sealed/primed it very well.

For quality, typically a Maaco painter does a good job. The painters spend most of their day just painting the cars while high school kids do the prep work. Their prep work involves using a couple sanding discs and a chemical wash over the entire car. So it's better than just painting over your old paint. However, they don't fix rust spots (unless ask and pay more) and they don't sand the harder spots very well. Such as crevices and body lines.

As Woody said, paint it a simple color. My car was white which covers up most perfections.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

Tell me about it woody i have to spray 1 ton wheels at work with ppg delfleet essential single stage gray met. or silver if you will and if you get it too heavy in 1 spot then your metallic is dark as he'll and just looks like dog crap, basecoat is awesome just watch out with that because then you can zebra stripe that as any basecoat oor you can get different angles of metallic apprearing blotched in certain spots which is called metallic modeling, what you do to correct it is spray side to side from what you previously sprayed say you sprayed a hood front of vehicle to back in that motion and you had met. modeling goin on you would then rotate yourself like you are standing in front of the hood rather on the side you would then spray twice the distance of what you were sprayed and spray it in a fast motion left to right and the modeling should go away, what many people make mistakes on with painting is they don't do 50% overlap on their passes and they don't get it wet enough having excess dryness and or orange peel, you wanna get it right the first time so don't be afraid to spray it, if you get a run it's fixable many people are afraid of this which is ok for a first timer but really it's better than dry spray cause then you must paint that panel over again, HOWEVER this does not apply to basecoat, everyone should remember when spraying basecoat ro not get it wet remember it's not suppose to be shiny cause it will be topcoated with clear, it's not suppose to be wet, remember you can put alot of coats of basecoat on to cover it cause the first coat is basically suppose to be a dust coat as are the the rest of the coat until hiding or coverage is accomlished, just remember DONT SPRAY BASECOAT WET!!!

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan
afragasr

Post by afragasr »

Dropped off my '91 Beretta ( base ) on 12/8/14, no preparation by me. They sanded,(and repaired a small dent on the right side rear panel ) sealed and painted it the original blue, and picked it up on 12/11/14.
Looks like a new car. Excellent job, but I went with an upgrade. Going to bring him a bottle of wine next week. Total cost, $1275.00, and I think money well spent.
Armando.
( Now I am going thru ALL these 51 pages trying to find a replacement gas door.)